Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Update for second day

Second day update
I didn’t take any photos today. the day was interesting however. I handed out 6 flyers, Why I Ride, to folks along the way. Folks were very helpful today. The first twenty miles were guided flawlessly by google maps. Head south, keep the Bay on the left, use a route parallel to El Camino. As the Peninsula nears the end around Mt View directions change. What I think of as north-south is by compass west-east. And the main traffic arteries also change orientation. Needless to say I got quite lost. 

I spend a lot of time in coffee houses with free internet and power sources. A guy asked about my ride, where I was headed. He then told me about a GPS button he wears when he does his off-road motorcycling. It allows his friends to track his position. 

A senior citizen took sympathy on me when she saw me on the side of the rode, maps in hand. She got me back on track. Google maps has a preference for scenic routes far out of the way.

Shortly there after another bicyclist asked me if I had a pump for her flat tire. She is here from Spain reporting for EFE on Silicon Valley. I gave her a flyer and we talked about my ride and her job. She said she would let her friends back home know about my journey. And then she taped a short interview, mostly of me talking of my ride.

The next person I met helped me find my way again. I was about out of steam and 13 miles from my motel room. I had just fallen off the bike trying to take a very tight turn. Only a bruised knee. I landed mostly on my backpack. 

The next two who got leaflets were young women, one at the front desk and the other at the dinner. They both were amazed that the old man in front of them was thinking of riding across the country. Young folks, according to most polls, have very different values than the ret of us. They are more concerned about the environment, they will have to live in the world as climate change does its havoc. They are more egalitarian. I hope they can be more peaceful in a manner that puts a brake on the established militaristic ideology that has taken hold of America. 

Fear is a powerful motivator, and it will be used. Will they ask of alternative actions that can be taken to solve the perceived threat? Will they examine the potential negative and unintended consequences? Can they figure the ulterior motives that is driving us to wage war? As a senior I can add perspective, but the world is very much different than in my youth. Young folks will have to have the solutions. They are faster bicyclists and they are faster thinkers, to destinations and solutions.  


1 comment:

  1. Well done Dan! We are all waiting for you here in the Vondriska lab!! :)

    ReplyDelete