Monday, August 17, 2015

August 17 Memorial Day To Labor Day

This means that Washington DC is within 3 weeks!!
Getting ready to leave St Louis

Tom's truck reminds me of one of my cars
I am in Altamont Il, about 100 miles from St Louis. I am riding about 40 miles a day right now, a thought I have a hard time comprehending. Here are two photos of me in front of Tom’s house and his truck. I met Tom over the internet, he is a Veterans For Peace Organizer. It was really great to have a conversation with him and his family over two days. 

2,500 miles and finally a farmer is advertising Non- GMO

Using Google Maps to plot my ride and my childhood friends, brothers Bill and Ken who have told me that I must take  the Great Allegheny Passage bicycle route. It is a rails to trails route that I will take, the final inducement is that Frank Lloyd Wright’s “Falling Water” is on the trail. With stops in Indianapolis, Dayton, and the GAP it will be 864 mies.

What impressed me about this statue is the strength portrayed.  And she is wearing boots for working in the mud!

From Vandalia IL, the capital where Lincoln served.

This means that Washington DC is within 3 weeks!! At some point in my Capitol stay I will ride to Annapolis and put my front tire in the Atlantic, about a 36 mile ride. Additionally, 45 years ago I took a four year college course at St Mary’s of California that is based on St John’s Book College headquartered in Annapolis. I will want to see that school. 

So the 3 weeks to DC is an estimate, a time estimate and as all those who know me well these are seldom perfect. I should arrive in DC on

Labor Day weekend, how fitting is that, to having left San Rafael on Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment