Tuesday, August 18, 2015

August 18 So Close Yet So Far

A Kindred Spirit


For my liberal friends who think that any Democrat can beat any Republican in next year’s elections. Please take heed.

At my entry into the cafe I was greeted by four women who were sitting over their coffee. Such morning groupings at local diners are not uncommon in small communities. What separated these women from others is the warm welcome they gave me, driven by their curiosity of a senior citizen bicyclist in their small town.

“Where are you from? Are you just passing through?”
“I’m riding my bicycle across the country.”
“Where did you start?”
“ I started in San Francisco and rode to LA and then to here.”
“You must be riding for a mission. Where are you headed?”
“I’m going to DC to talk to my congressman.”
“Oh, they are all no good.” This is a common response among most people when I start to tell them why I am riding.
“Mine is pretty good. He’s an environmentalist and so am I. I’m riding because SF is just a few feet above sea level and sea level rise and global warming climate change is important to us.”
“Well everyone knows that climate change is happening, it’s just not OK to single out the US and make us make all the changes while the rest of the world runs amok.”
“That’s why I am riding for Peace and Environmental Justice. We can’t solve this if those in Washington are starting wars. We need others cooperation. And the justice part means we need to work with others to come to a solution.”
“Well I think things will change once we make a change in Washington. Once that thing is out of office. I don’t know what he is, but he certainly is not an American.”
“ Well we agree on some things we don’t agree on everything. I better get some coffee.”

Later someone from that table bought me my breakfast and the workers came out and took a picture of me and the bike.

1 comment:

  1. I think the dems are in big trouble & we could end up w Trump as our next Prez, unbelievable as it seems!!
    By the way, hoping you'll find a nice dump to throw your tire into at the end, the irony would be too much if it ends up in the Atlantic.
    Miss you,
    J9

    ReplyDelete