Thursday, July 2, 2015

Dan's Bicycle Shop

Almost started crying tonight. A little background first. Today I rode down a 6 mile grade dropping about 2000 feet. The signs said it was a 6% grade. The rear brakes had needed some adjustment and the descent was a little scary.  



This evening I adjusted the brakes and then started on the rear deraileur which also needed a slight adjustment. Five minutes in to the process I didn’t have the lower three gears anymore. I worked on the bike for over a half hour with no luck. That’s when the frustration got intense. After reviewing my options like calling someone from California to come and rescue me, I decided to try Youtube. And with some success I found an instructional video and an hour or so later I had gotten all my gears back. 

My bike in front of the western style stone jail, circa 1933

Kelly and Shelia in Fort Verde

Shelia is obviously a better photographer than me

Here’s some photos of Camp Verde which includes the Fort Verde State Park. This is a Civil War era Indian fort. The two rangers, Shelia and Kelly, were great and encouraging about my cross country journey and told me of their such experiences. I told them of my mission and blog so we took pictures of each other.






If I am able to ride the 56 miles including 4,800 feet up to Flagstaff then I will take a bus trip to the Grand Canyon on Saturday. 

3 comments:

  1. a good cry can help align almost anything

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck Dan.......hope you can fit a grand canyon into your grand journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was nice meeting you, Dan - thanks for telling Sheila and I about your journey. I will be following it from here. :)
    Let me know if you want any tips for the Grand Canyon - wish I could go and be your guide! When I lived there I met a few people doing the same type of thing as you are now ... I have always loved talking with fellow adventurers.

    ReplyDelete