Wednesday, July 1, 2015

July 1 Yarnell to Prescott

Yesterday was a 7 hour bike ride, 32 miles, and a 2,560 foot climb. I left the desert landscape behind in Wilhoit, a small community pushed up against the mountains just outside of Prescott National Forrest. I photographed this white flower’s prickly bud casing like much of desert flora. The first 15 miles were mostly downhill, and 800 foot elevation drop from Yarnell including a ride -too early in the morning to photograph- through Peeples Valley. 




Downhill is so much easier than up, 15 miles in the first hour. The next 5 miles into Wilhoit took an hour and the final 12 miles through the forest took another 5 hours.  About 6 miles from Prescott a car had stopped and a woman was holding a chilled bottle of water for me. Her ancestors were first cattle ranchers of Peeples Valley. We talked about its beauty and our children for twenty minutes or so and then she offered me a ride into Prescott which I had to refuse. 







Here are some pictures from near the 6100 elevation sign. I felt as if the forest was calling me to lay down and rest. It was so much more inviting than the night I spent camping out in Chiriaco Summit’s desert landscape next to the watch for rattlesnakes sign.  Prescott is not a big city but it is the biggest city I have been in for some time. I stopped by Ironclad Bicycles to fill my tires, their pressure had dropped to barely 40 pounds, and talked about touring between Flagstaff and Albuquerque. Next stop was Sweet Annie’s  Cafe where they custom made me a meatless Cobb salad with a honey mustard dressing to die for. 






I have ridden for 5 days straight since Blythe, CA. 157 miles and 8,432 feet of climbing. I’m going to spend another day in Prescott and enjoy city life including great internet access. I am planning to take an extra day or two in both Sedona and Flagstaff when I reach them.

1 comment:

  1. great photos; glad you taking time to smell the roses/succulents in these wonderful mountain communities; what a great adventure!!

    ReplyDelete