Monday, June 1, 2015

Day Eight Musings Before the Ride

So American it hurts sometimes.
Some people interpret my criticism of many policies of the US as anti-American. First I have to say that I engage our political process in as many forums as I am able. I work for and contribute to campaigns for politicians I feel will do us good, for campaigns for policies that will make our lives and the environment better. As an American I see it as my duty to make this a better place and a better actor in the world. 

Secondly, there are many forces that are very self-motivated that have great influence over what our country does. The list is long you can add their names. My opposition to what our government does for their benefit is not un-American, in my opinion when those actions harm us and others and the environment then it is very much in the tradition of this country’s history to act.

The US has the world’s largest economy, we spend more on our military than the combination of many of the largest governments combined, and our policy makers believe that they have the duty to act in every sphere of influence on this globe. I believe in the democratic process. I am not a defeatist. I believe, more hope, that our actions can influence what is done for the better, if not immediately then eventually. We have a duty to assure that what is done in our name is a benefit to all people and to all life on this very small planet. 

The very good news is that young people are becoming very engaged and are having great impact on our society. What they are creating is truly astounding. New organs, even hearts, are being grown from stem cells. The world of Dick Tracy’s science fiction, wrist watches that are communication devices exists. That comic’s often stated phrase that, the nation that control magnetism controls the universe is here. Satellites are circling our globe using magnetic fields for propulsion. 


But it doesn’t end there. Our youth are also changing our political world. Their values are more egalitarian, more race neutral or accepting or other life-styles. But the sun is coming up and I have to get on the road. More latter today.

1 comment:

  1. All things to strive toward. Great good luck to you, sir.

    ReplyDelete