Saturday, June 6, 2015

Musings On The AIDS LifeCycle Riders

Some of you reading this may know that I have worked in the past at the San Francisco Suicide Prevention Hot Line. I volunteered twice each for a year. I the first year was in the mid 90’s. the AIDS anti-virals were not available yet. I spoke with many people who were certain of their imminent passing. I was in my late forties, trying to get out of construction, taking classes at SFSU. 

A decade later I went back to SFSP just to do it. I was amazed that folks I had spoken to 10 years earlier were now very optimistic about their future. These survivors are heroes of the the human spirit. Those riding for them are amazingly strong standard bearers for that strength. They come in various shapes and sizes, costumed as one would expect in a SF parade, riding 80 something miles in a day. I left King City the day they were arriving. Today  they head out toward Santa Monica, ours ways parted.

No comments:

Post a Comment