Wednesday, June 17, 2015

June 17 AM Arrived In San Bernardino-Colton

Yesterday I rode with the vision of a meal from the Happy Family Vegetarian restaurant. I got here in time for the lunch menu and was well rewarded. 

I chose the nearby Motel 6 so I was in my room and fed by 4 PM. I might have arrived an hour earlier had I not stopped to help a fellow bicyclist with a flat tire. I might talk more on him much latter. But at the motel another guest responded with interest and enthusiasm about this journey. He and the clerk both received one of my flyers.



At one point, before I had ridden very far, I thought I might follow Route 66 from LA to Chicago but now I thinking just get to the East Coast and save the sight seeing for a time when I am better suited for this activity. Here's a photo of Rte 66-Foothill Blvd in Glendora, and of course Santa Monica is the end point. 

I left Pomona at 8 so that I could arrive at the REI in Rancho Cucamonga before they opened at 10 AM. I have started taking seriously my next destination the deserts of California and Arizona. I needed to get another external battery charger, a head lamp so I can ride in the very early morning, and salt and mineral replacement pills. As I was checking out a customer asked about my journey and he and the clerk both received one of my flyers.

12033 Jack Benny Drive, Rancho Cucamonga

12033 Jack Benny Dr, Rancho Cucamonga


I might be headed to the desert and there might be a four year drought in California but this is a common scene down here is SoCal. 




Last evening I spent hours repacking my bags, charging my new batteries,  and getting ready for tomorrow’s ride. I will leave around 7AM. the ride 24 mile to Banning includes a 18 mile uphill climb of 1,542 feet. And we are having a hot week down here.


No comments:

Post a Comment