Tuesday, June 16, 2015

June 16 in the AM Pomona to Colton

Our family reunion was filled with lots of warm emotions and making new friends. Parting was more difficult for me, hence the delay in setting out Monday morning. I made it to Pomona yesterday even though I started very late and the temperature was in the high 80’s almost 90. Align the way I stopped in an air-conditioned Subway for juice and water. I met a man and his two daughters, 4 and 6, and talked about my own two daughters, now wonder women. He was very excited about my journey and took a leaflet. I hope to hear form him as I head eastward.

I will not make the late departing mistake again today, nor in the future nor for some time to come. My ride will be mostly through desert. I have been told to start riding when I can first see and plot my route according to water stops. So I will stop in Rancho Cucamonga (part of or near San Bernardino) to buy a head lamp for the bike and extra external battery charger for my phone. 

I have also updated my itinerary to align with water in the desert. I won’t be going as far south instead from Palm Springs/Palm Desert towards Mecca - Patton Museum - Desert Center - Blythe. Essentially Interstate 10.
I made these changes when I realized named places on the map do not necessarily have people and water. The rides will be a little longer but I will be able to refuel along the way. The ride from Desert Center to Blythe is all downhill. From Mecca to Desert Center is a climb, but I can stop at the Patton Museum if need be. From the Patton to Desert Center is downhill. Here are the corrections:
Los Angeles, CA to Pomona 36
Pomona to Riverside 25
Riverside to Banning 42
Pomona to Colton (San Bernardino) 28
Colton to Banning 31
Banning to Palm Desert 43
Palm Desert to Bertram 46
Bertram to Brawley 41
Brawley to Mesquite 30
Mesquite to Palo Verde 43
Palo Verde, CA to Blythe 21
Palm Desert to Mecca 37
Mecca to Desert Center (Hwy10) 46

Desert Center to Blythe 56

No comments:

Post a Comment